Sunday, December 7, 2014

Family Schooling Summary

Big sister A did her workbook pages the first part of the week, but then got strep throat and was feeling sick Wed-Friday.  Brother M had joy school and enjoyed it as usual.   We just finished reading the Kit books from the American Girl collection aloud to the kids at night.  It's fun that big sister A is loving the types of historical fiction that I did as a child and also learning a lot about the experiences of kids during the great depression.

We also listened to The Graveyard Book together in the car while we did our errands this week.  It is came from the childrens section of the library, but it is too scary for the under 5 crowd.  Luckily the story went right over brother M's head.   Just big sister A and I, have been enjoying it and talking about it as we drive.  For some reason, big sis A loves ghost stories.... I still don't understand why.  Maybe because I am so easily spooked by them?  In any case, it is a fun adventure type book for kids 8+.


 We have been doing A LOT of cooking projects this week.  I am making a little extra money as a reviewer for Vitamix (which I used all the time anyway, so am happy to support).   This month is recipe tracking and showing what kinds of things we use it for.  One of the recipes we made were these Russian Gingerbread cookies.  They can be made with rye flour, oat flour, or regular flour.  Since it was our first time through, I did half oat flour and half regular.  They have no sugar in the dough, just honey.  I think they turned out yummy, though of course, not the same as the ones that I was trying to replicate from my time in Russia. They include (freshly) ground cardamom, which I was craving and a lemon glaze and that was made with sugar.







Another yummy recipe my testers helped me with was this Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce.  They had no idea they were eating vegetable sauce on their spinach noodles. So sneaky, he he he. Oh, but this makes a TON.  I would make about a half size of this recipe if I were doing it again for my family of 5.  I had a bunch of the sauce left which I put in the freezer for another meal. 



And just one more -since the pics are so funny.  Here is baby S testing out the Coconut Milk Ice Cream (just frozen coconut milk, frozen bananas, and a wee bit of chocolate).   I think they would have liked it even more with sugar added.





No comments:

Post a Comment