Sunday, September 21, 2014

Garden Progress: Free Mulch

I think I mentioned this last year, but I am on the county's list of people interested in free mulch.  If they happen to grind up a tree nearby they call and say "can you take a delivery today?".  It always seems to happen at an inopportune time...  Last year it was November, so I did not have enough time to get it all spread where I wanted it before the first snow and it sat a long time. This time it was the Thursday before we were going to be gone to the amusement all day Saturday (aka "work outside day"). And it was about twice as much as last time! A really huge old ash tree they told me it had been. And hubby was worried about it being against the garage with rain in the forecast -- last time it flooded the garage.  In short, I decided to call in a favor.  The missionaries are always asking me to tell them some kind of service that they can do for us. We feed them dinner regularly and I work with them a lot as a ward missionary.  So I called them Thursday night and they happily agreed to come at 11 am Friday.  They distributed my huge pile of mulch in less than 2 hours and then I feed them all (4 Elders) pizza for lunch. It was awesome.  It would have taken me at least 10 hours to do it myself.  We had plenty to do a thick layer around all the beds, the trees, and a reserve pile for the chicken coop. 


We have been slowly clearing beds as the summer vegetables die off. For winter veggies we have one bed of quinoa greens, 2 beds of turnips, and one bed of beets and various other lettuces.  I am persisting in my resolution not to buy any new seeds for this year, so those are all leftover seeds from the last 2-3 years.



No comments:

Post a Comment