Sunday, July 27, 2014

Garden Progress: Expanding the Beds

According to our original garden plan, there were to be corner beds around the perimeter of the garden.  We decided that it was finally time to add 2 of them and hubby started on them this weekend.  

 We are going to use those posts in the bed to build a right angle trellis.  Then I can transplant the black raspberries over here. They are getting a little too aggressive to be so close to the house.

 I am surprised to see that the melons are growing well, despite the relatively cool and rainy temperatures this year.

The tomatoes are doing well too, although the cherokee purple seeds that I saved from last season seem to have mixed with one of the smaller varieties.

I planted borage in with the tomatoes to keep the bugs away and am pleased to have their beautiful blossoms mixed in with my plants.

Three years ago, I planted these "daisies" in front of the deck. I thought that they would be a low accent plant in front of the rose bushes. Instead they turned into bushes themselves.  The roses were struggling to survive and I decided that it was finally time to replant them somewhere else.  I dug up a new bed around the clothesline pole and planted the roses with some echinacea.   It is not the ideal spot, but it will do for now.

The roses are so frail that it is hard to believe that there are 4 bushes in this bed. I used special soil and mulched them with chicken fodder. Hopefully, they will do better now.


No comments:

Post a Comment