Sunday, May 25, 2014

Reuse Recipe: Fixing a Broken Oven

The internet makes it so much easier to be handy. My oven stopped heating up, but the broiler still worked as did the stove top. I did a little googling and discovered that I could just remove and replace the broken bake element myself. As soon as I started fiddling with it the bake element cracked at the weak spot. See where the bubbles are on it?  That is a sign that it is broken... and the most likely cause is too many drips onto the element over the years.


 I found the model number on a little metal plaque inside the door and googled that.  I found the bake element part number for that model and then ordered it for 15 dollars on Amazon.  I watched a youtube video about replacing that part and then away I went.

First, I took out the racks. Then I used a socket wrench to undo the screws holding the bake element to the back of the oven.

Then I sent the kiddos and daddy away to art & soccer classes.

Almost all unscrewed here.

According to youtube, I was supposed to be able to just gently pull the bake element forward and see the wires clipped to it.  Then unclip and reclip to the new bake element.  It worked perfectly on one side. It was hard to get a picture of this part, can you see the wire sticking out here?


But on the other side the wire was tight and came unclipped BEHIND the back wall of the oven, inside the insulation. YIKES!  I figured there must be a way to reach it from the back. I unscrewed the back panel off the oven and sure enough -- I could see where the wire reached through the insulation. I adjusted for more slack and then carefully pushed the wire with pliers toward the inside of the oven.  


After that it was as easy as it seemed on the youtube video.  Reclip both sides and screw everything back together. TA-DA.  All fixed up for 15$.



1 comment:

  1. Well, you were far braver than I would have been in the past, but the more I see examples like this, the more I want to give these types of projects a try. I cannot help but wonder if I could get similar results if I take the plunge. You have helped build this lady's confidence.

    Caron Brennan @ ASAP Appliance Service

    ReplyDelete