Sunday, May 18, 2014

Garden Progress: Newspaper vs. real weed paper experiment

Last year I found out that I could get myself added to a County list for free mulch whenever they had it available and that they would deliver the TRUCK load wherever you told them to put it.  I signed up immediately with my garden path mulch project in mind.   Of course, they finally called me in late November.  I had them pile it at the back of the driveway and started removing sod, laying down 4-5 layers of newsprint (recycling instead of buying weed paper), and covering with mulch. I made slow progress in the cold and mud, and only got about half done before it got too snowy and cold to do much. This Spring I made the sad discovery that weeds were coming up through the mulch in some spots. 



So sad.  At least I was only half done?  I am using real weed paper on the second half and will eventually try to shift the first half's mulch over so that I can put weed paper under it instead. Uggh.

No comments:

Post a Comment