Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sew Special: Modest Alterations

I am not an alterations expert, but I like to help people out with them when it is something simple or just the right thing to do.  A girl at church was trying to find a modest prom dress and ordered one online. But the neck-line was a bit low and the dress was way too long for her petite person. So I said that I would help. We raised the neck-line by tucking in some of the fabric at the back. That made the shoulder seams slide toward the back by a half inch or so, but it was an easy fix and much more modest  all the way around.
Tucked the lace in at the back raising both the neckline and back of the dress
It's a lovely dress.  Delicate and stylish. I think this type of sleeve could also be replicated to make a sleeveless dress more modest too. I am kicking myself that I did not step back and get a better shot of the whole dress.  I was a little distracted - a bumble bee decided to crawl up my pant leg while I was taking these pictures!  I literally jumped out of my pants try to escape the buzzing that I knew must be a bee. My nice husband went up and captured the bee in a jar for the kids to get a good look at before freeing him outside.

The fabric is stretch and slippery so I did the hemming by hand





No comments:

Post a Comment