Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sew Special: Best Beginner Skirt Ever

Megan Nielson's Kelly Skirt 
I mentioned tracing and cutting out this skirt pattern 2 weeks ago here.  I had hig hopes for it. And now can confirm - it was one of the easiest and most well illustrated patterns that I have ever used. It would be great for a beginner.  I am no longer surprised that the pattern is usually sold out.  The size S was a good fit as per the pattern measurements. My favorite part is that all of the seams are neatly finished -- meaning that each step is hemmed and topstitched so that very few raw edges are exposed. I cut the pattern with pinking shears since I do not have a serger. Also did you notice the pockets? I love them -- so practical!
 The skirt is a flattering shape too. I think I will make another short one and a longer color block one for summer. Then maybe a plaid wooly one for winter? The possibilities are endless. My only modification on this first try was to lengthen the skit by about 1.5 inches to bring it to knee length.


No comments:

Post a Comment