Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Miracle of the Floorboards

 

Anyone reading this probably knows of my loathing for wall-to-wall carpeting. Our den is the only frequently used room on the main floor of our house with carpet (the office/guest room has it too, but no one goes in there except hubby).  It is impossible to keep clean as people pass through the den between the kitchen and toy room.  I'll stop there. 
I have been searching for a flooring to replace that carpet for about three years. I brought samples home from every store within a 50 mile radius that sells flooring (an exaggeration, but you get the idea). Nothing matched our aged oak floors. It's not a popular color these days and the yellowing only occurs with time according to the floor experts I spoke with.  I hate waiting. I was always wrestling between wanting to get it right (not have a patch work of flooring that ruins the feng shui of my home and wastes money) and my disgust with the carpeting. 
About a year and a half ago, maybe more, a friend from church and I were talking about how our homes probably had the same builder back in the day.  They have a lot of similarities.  You see where this is headed?!
She has the EXACT same flooring that we do. They are doing a big home remodeling now and she said that I could have her old flooring. I am ecstatic! All the waiting was worth it!

On Saturday hubby and I spent about 6 hours at their house pulling it up and taking out the nails. 
We loaded it into the truck and brought it home.  Huzzah!  I think we will probably have the same professional carpenter that she is using for her new floors install it for us.  We could DIY, but it is complicated and secondhand.  I think it will look better with some special handling. 





No comments:

Post a Comment