Sunday, November 29, 2020

Farm Fresh: High Tunnel Chickens and Putting the Garden to Bed

 The chickens moved out to the high tunnel a couple weeks ago.  They have mostly been doing well in there.  They are working hard fertilizing and tilling in the compost.  We have had to be careful about opening the doors on sunny days as it can quickly get to 100F, even when outdoor temperatures are in the 60s. Watering them is another issue. It gets near or below freezing at night now and the hoses are put away for winter. Big sister A is watering all the birds by carrying buckets from the house spigot. I moved the mobile roost in there on Saturday because a chick got stuck between the roll-up bar and the baseboard and perished. We think it was trying to roost on the baseboard. The ducks are a little confused about these new doors on their sun house. The muscovies and guineas can and do fly in if they want. 

Hubby spent a lot of time this week organizing and cleaning out the barn.  He gave away our old lawnmower, got rid of a lot of junk, and pressure washed the floor.  He also put up new lights. It is spic and span now.  Plenty of open space. The cub scouts are still meeting outside with masks and Brother M's den will have their den meeting here. 
I clipped, chopped, and dug out the diseased boxwood near the front door. 
I replaced it with another Smokey Saskatoon.  Based on last year's success, I am really looking forward to harvesting from these bushes. I planted a third one in the orchard along with some black aronia bushes.  
The garden is mostly ready for winter now. We dug out all the sweet potatoes -- despite the issues, there were many more than we can eat/preserve.  I gave some away and also put some in the high tunnel. The chickens seem to love them?! 
Taking it easy on the gardening this year has left me with lots of energy for next seasons' garden projects. I already ordered all my seeds and some of my plants.  
Here is the current plan for the high tunnel and fenced garden areas:
I love this design from Harry Dodson's Victorian Kitchen Garden.  I am working on gathering some clipart to make similar designs in the future.  Walled gardens are so incredible. 





No comments:

Post a Comment