Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sew Special: Another Button Lover and some Quick Change Trousers

Finished off another button lovers sweater. Managed to make it come out smaller this time (6-9 month size).  Used some soft cotton yarn and buttons from my stash. 
  And a gnomey hat.  So quick and easy - done in bits of time over the course of a day. Used the same wool as in his baby blanket.

I first saw these quick change trousers on Amanda Soule's blog in 2010!  I wanted to try them so much, but the book was new and the price was high so I never got around to it.  I ran across a picture of them again a few months ago, checked Thrift Books and sure enough found an inexpensive gently used copy of this lovely book.
Image result for anna maria horner handmade beginningsImage result for anna maria horner handmade beginnings

Since I have almost no clothes for this new little fellow as yet, I started assembly line sewing a bunch of these from fabrics on hand.  I have about 14 pairs in the works (half are 6 month size and half 12 month size).  My babies have all been born too big for newborn size, wear 3 month size for their first two months or so and then spend awhile in the 6-9 month size range.  I figure this new guy will be in these 6 month pants by about August, especially with his big cloth diaper bum. 
 Each pant is completely reversible which is great for durability and style changes. Only drawback is that making one pair takes two pairs worth of fabric and time. The legs can be rolled down as the baby grows, which is why I skipped the 9 month size and went right to the 12 months.
 Making do with fabrics that I already have in my stash, lots of greens and browns so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment