Sunday, July 21, 2019

Farm Fresh: July in the garden

One of the first things I planted when we moved into this house were two hazelnut twigs from Tractor Supply.  My expectations were high and now finally they have been rewarded!  After three years we have our first dozen hazelnuts growing. Huzzah!
Far right side is the hazelnut bush. 
 The Japanese beetles have been about twice as abundant as I have ever seen them before in the garden. They really like rhubarb!? I was hesitant to harvest it until they were under control, but that never really happened.  I ended up choosing which stalks to pick based on highest level of leaf damage.  Five rhubarb plants made plenty for jam and freezing.
We have been harvesting potatoes along the same lines.  I can't seem to keep ahead of the potato beetles. They are multiplying like crazy.  I have picked them off every day, but they are like the Yankees in Gone with the Wind, "Always coming and coming, more and more". Well, I surrender! I will not plant potatoes next year. That should give the bugs a chance to die out.  This is the harvest from two plants that the bugs decimated. Not bad given that they had only a short season.

I am in full canning mode now. Mostly pressure canning meals in jars using this book.  This week I did about 7 jars each night.  I harvested almost everything I needed from the garden for Minestrone soup and French onion soup.  I also tested a baked bean recipe that the kids loved.
 I used 30 lbs of the first big wave of tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce.
 I was sad to harvest the feverfew. It is so pretty in the garden, but mid July the flowers peak and that is supposed to be best for tea and tincturing.

No comments:

Post a Comment