Sunday, April 21, 2019

Farm Fresh: Warm Spring

The weather this spring has been gorgeous. Highs in the upper 60's (even 70's this week) and lows in the low 50's with regular intervals of rain. We have not had any frost days in April.  Very odd! I keep checking the 10 day forecast for cold spells, but none are predicted.   Blossoms are everywhere and everything smells wonderful. 
 These are my flower collectors.
 With cats assisting and approving
 I think they have quite a knack for flower arranging.
 The first batch of 20 chicks went out with the big ladies about 2 weeks ago. This fluffy lady is Anna, big sister A's favorite.
 With the young chicks in the white coop, the older ladies have not had access to their nest boxes. They got creative and I love the egg-laying spot they chose.
 In the hay above the rabbit grow-out cages... so easy to reach, tidy, and secure.  Good job ladies.
The garden and plant starts have been enjoying the warm spring weather. Everything is looking well filled-out and ready to sell at the fair. 


I potted up a bunch more elderberry volunteers. I already sold most of the hardwood cuttings that I potted in March. 
 Rhubarb is suffering a bit for the warmth. Two of my plants are already blossoming, but I think their will still be enough stalks for all of our pies and jams between the five plants.
 Peas are well on their way - growing up their rustic trellises.
 Leeks, chinese cabbages, and kale came out from under their row covers yesterday. After seeing the rhubarb blossoming I worried that they might get too hot under cover. 
 Hard to see, but little brother S and miss L helped me plant two 70ft rows of onions and carrot seeds last week.  They are good companion plants and the onions help me remember where the carrots are, since they take so long to come up.
 Our W family buddies dug up 4 sturdy old blueberry bushes for us before they moved from their old house.  Look at all the buds on this one! All four made the transition well and are budding and sprouting. It makes me so happy.  I hope they flourish in this new sunny spot.
 I am a little behind getting the potatoes planted.  I ordered from a different company this year and they were not pre-cut like I am used to. I had to warm them to encourage budding, find agricultural sulfur, cut and cure them. 
Hubby and the neighbor made a bunch more fence progress yesterday and cut down a massive dead tree that was near the fence line.


No comments:

Post a Comment