Sunday, March 4, 2018

Farm Fresh: Incubating Eggs and Seedlings

This week I borrowed a couple incubators from a friend. She said that it takes awhile to get the hang of incubating (get a high hatch rate). We are starting with incubating chicken eggs since we have plenty of those and two active roosters. The idea is to practice on a couple batches of chickens before the turkey starts laying. That way we won't waste any precious turkey eggs.  
 We had to try several locations before we found a good spot -- a spot where the temperature and humidity were stable and consistent. This was not it. 
  I am rotating trays of seedlings under the grow lights. Cabbages, leeks, cauliflower, and nasturtiums were started first.  I have tomatoes, peppers, and marigolds still in their sprouting pots.
 Unbeknownst to us we must had some mice in the basement. They thought I made them a little salad bar and nibbled several plants to death before we caught the culprits.
 These Rhode Island ladies are very calm hens.  They have not been flying out of their brooder. Which is surprising considering that they are more than 8 weeks old. We REALLY need to get them outside. I have been selling off my extra geese to make room for them in the larger hoop house, but I still have 5 extra geese. I think I will end up putting the geese inside the garden fence for a little while.  I think we have one pair and 3 extra ganders. The pair will sell easily, but the ganders may need to be butchered.


No comments:

Post a Comment