Sunday, October 9, 2016

Farm Fresh: A Tale of Two Roosters

Remember how we had 2 roosters? Despite many efforts to gentle this big white guy, he became meaner and trickier. The day that he snuck up behind me and gave me a hard peck on the back of my leg while I was feeding the flock some treats was the last straw for him.


I butchered both of them this week. It was not a fun job. Causing and watching an animal's death is painful. I was terrified trying to corner, catch, and position mean white rooster too. Despite everything I did not want to cause unnecessary harm to him.  But these are farm animals, meant for working or eating. They led very happy free ranging lives until this one bad moment and then their work was done.
I meant to butcher the two older hens that morning too, but I ran out of time before I had to leave for my appt. And truthfully, I was pretty worn out from the stress of handling mean white rooster. We ate him for dinner last night. It was a delicious meal. The kids knew what they were eating and frankly rejoiced to be eating him.  "Now we can go outside without mommy to guard us!" they said excitedly. Yes. That made it all worth it. Peace has returned to the barnyard and no food was wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment