Sunday, September 25, 2016

Family Schooling Summary: Pokeweed Berries

There is a gutter on the side of the house that I believe is also a drainage spot for condensation from the AC.  It is often wet. The ducks love it. The children like it too. 
 They like to encourage the flow of water down a canal under the gazebo.
 Funny thing though - in the moments after I took this picture and one more of the boys smiling-- Little Miss Stinker walked over to the shrubbery and grabbed some pokeweed berries. They are ripe and she has this thing for putting stuff in her mouth.
 I knew that they were poisonous. We have had some close calls with her trying to put them in her mouth before.  They are everywhere and impossible to get ride of all of them in the woods around our property.
She had purple hands and lots of purple on her clothes... and a little purple on her mouth and tongue.  I called Poison Control asap.  At first they were going to send me right to the ER. Then I was transferred to another guy and he said to feed her some dinner and just watch her for an hour to see whether she throws-up. I didn't think she would have eaten many, but at least one went in her mouth. Short story - she didn't throw-up. She ate and played as if nothing had happened. The Poison Control guy called back after an hour to check on us and said that we should be okay. I thanked him for saving me a long ER adventure. 

Acorn gathering continues.  There are tons! Maybe this is the sign of hard winter ahead? I hope not though since we didn't buy our tractor/snowplow yet. I hear that pigs love acorns too. Maybe next year we can feed them to our pigs. So far we are just using them for decorations and playing games.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment