Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sewing Frenzy

In the midst of waiting for the arrival of baby L, I experienced my usual super high anxiety/nesting stress and put a lot of my extra energy into sewing projects. I think in the past I have done more house projects, but since we are still debating about whether/when to move I was not in the mood for much decorating.

I had 1 very large order of 15 grommeted drapery panels that I finished around new years and forgot to take pictures of. It went really well and I was pleased with how everything turned out. Around that same time I got another order for a replica of an antique Madame Alexander Cissy doll dress.

 She gave me some photos of the design and I was going to make a pattern from scratch and then alter it to the doll, but happily I found a 1950s pattern of a similar dress which saved me some time, except that it was for a doll half as large (10.5 inch instead of 20 inch).  I gave myself a little course from online sources of how to enlarge patterns -- and here are the results.  This is just the "muslin" version.  I will cut the real one out of silk after she approves the muslin.




I cut out 4-5 blouses that I had been wanting to make and sewed them up in quick succession.  It was a little tricky, not being able to try them on.  Now that I can,  I realized that will need to add a little give to the short sleeve blouses sleeves, swimmer shoulders and all that. 

This short sleeve blouse is a variation on Collette's free Sorbetto pattern -- with sleeves added.  This is a great pattern. So quick and easy! I made these 2 blouses in one night.  Sleeve pattern from here - though, if you have wide shoulders I recommend broadening it a bit. I lengthened the pattern also, to allow room to tuck it in or just be plenty long. 


Lined dress made with an old sari (ordered from here).  I am trying to make a good 50s shirt dress. This one is my first attempt and is a combination of two patterns. I will have to wait to finish and alter it until I am closer to my normal size.  Using old saris is awesome because the edges are already finished and I love the borders and pallu (fancy edge, which I used for the bodice of the dress).


 One of my favorite patterns - wiksten made Tova top. The same one that I used to make the 2 tunic dresses last year. These are longish blouse length.  I wanted to be able to tuck them in.




No comments:

Post a Comment