Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sew Special: Winter hats, Sweaters and Wonderful Pants


Boys are so hard to photograph - constantly in motion!


There is so much to talk about this week... since I did not publish anything last week due to the camera battery being dead on arrival. That always seems to happen to me.

Last week it started to get cold here and we simultaneously saw a cute blog post from my all time favorite blogger and author Amanda Soule about pom poms. So we raided my yarn stash and the kiddos chose the colors they wanted for this year's winter hats. Big sister A's hat was improvised and for brother M's hat it was loosely based on the Luuk pattern.


Girly Pom-pom hat

Brother M has grown more than 2 inches since February according to our wall chart. That means that he was down to only 2 pairs of jogging pants and high waters for church. I reviewed my pattern stash and decided on a mass production (5 pairs) using a lengthened version of the Oliver & S shorts pattern. I have already mentioned repeatedly how much I love the Lisette patterns for women and Liesl Gibson's book, Little Things to Sew. Based on my experiences with those patterns I went ahead and bought some clothes patterns for the kids when they were half price this summer. If the shorts/pants pattern is any indication, the children's patterns are the cream of the bunch. A good pattern makes sewing fun. It is worth the extra 5-7$.
Here are some pics of brother M sporting one of his 5 new pairs of pants. They have a faux fly, flat front, and elastic in the back.  I made this pair from one of husband's old work shirts. 


Faux fly and two front pockets

The shirt front pocket became the pants back pocket




No comments:

Post a Comment