Monday, November 18, 2013

Recommended Reading: The Black Cauldron Series- Chronicles of Prydain Book 4

The Chronicles of Prydain Book 4: Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander

Funny story about this cover. The whole reason that I started reading this series is because my daughter brought this set to me. She liked it because she thought the covers looked "scary"! She is kind of obsessed with reading "scary" looking books. We read a lot of Halloween books as you might guess.  Lucky for me the children's section is pretty safe.
I was about to put this book back and then recognized the "Black Cauldron" title from the Disney movie.  I am glad that I decided to read this series for myself.  I recommend it for children ages 7 and up for all the reasons that I mentioned in my previous posts about the Chronicles of Prydain. 
Book 4 is still an adventure story, but lacks Eilonwy, which is sad for female readers. It is also more introspective and philosophical as Taran is seeking to discover his true parentage. For all the "finding yourself" philosophy that it included, it still kept me on the edge of my seat.  I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone, but I was hoping for a bit more myself. Hopefully, Book 5 will clear it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment