Friday, June 7, 2013

Reuse Recipes: Thinnings

Beets always require a lot of thinning since each "seed" is actually a cluster. I like to let mine get fairly large before thinning them so that I can use the greens for other things.  I also had to thin my kale, collards, cabbage, and onions in the last couple weeks. That has left me with a lot of "thinnings" to make creative use of.  Of course each reuse for thinnings depends on what the thinnings are, but here are some ideas:

1. Beet and onion thinnings + Egg and Swiss = Provincial Style Omelet.
This idea was sparked by the splendid book that I reviewed a few weeks ago.  I sauteed it in "very good olive oil" and cracked two fresh eggs from the neighbors chickens on top. Then decided to add some swiss cheese. The swiss was overkill. I should have just stuck with some romano or parmesan lightly grated over top.



2. Baby cabbage leaves + teaspoon of mayo + tablespoon of bread and butter pickles, all chopped up = delicious coleslaw
I made this at least twice. It was so yummy for lunch. I just HAD to thin my cabbages a couple times.

Cabbage thinnings


3. Golden potatoes + kale thinnings + collard thinnings + cilantro, chopped and fried together = delicious dinner for sensitive tummies (Daddy was having a reaction to too much dairy - so we were being careful)... Sorry I forgot to photograph this and the next yummies



4. Cabbage leaves plus equal parts plain yogurt and mayo on top 2 fish sticks in a tortilla shell = speedy and delicious fish tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment