Sunday, October 18, 2020

Farm Family Fun: Campfires and Comfrey

Baby A attended his first family campout this weekend. Temperatures were a lot chillier than he was used to.  
Brother S had several camping requirements that he was working on for cub scouts. Hubby and the older kids slept outside in the tent.


Brother M is practicing his nature photography.  He took this Mid-Atlantic Leopard frog photo with my phone. 

On Saturday afternoon I was sitting down at the dining room table enjoying the warm fall breezes and gazing out the window. I saw a fat fuzzy caterpillar crawling up the brick window casing. Then I saw a large praying mantis moving across the window screen. And then "Pow!" suddenly the mantis was holding the caterpillar in its pincers and slurping it up. I yelled for the kids to come. Too bad they missed the attack sequence, but at least they were able to watch the feast up close through the window screen. 

I may have mentioned my love of comfrey a few times already on this blog (ahem). Here is another example of its usefulness. This is not really a "before" picture, but these are the ones I planted this weekend.
And this is how nice they look after a month or so. The comfrey acts as a natural weed suppressant and mulch. 
Here are some more around the hazelnut bush:
They are planted in a triangle shape around my Echinacea bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment