Sunday, June 7, 2020

Farm Fresh: Fruiting

The kids have been picking strawberries every day. Usually only about a pint or so make it back into the kitchen.  I would estimate we are getting about 2 pints per day. I need to read more about how farmers keep rows between strawberry beds. They have been spreading so happily.  I guess I should have thinned them and made rows earlier this spring? It is just one giant patch at this point, not the most convenient for picking or for ripening.   
 No lack of creativity here. "Look Mom! It's my butter car".
 Hubby spotted this luna moth yesterday. Brother M admired how well camouflaged it is when on a green leafy tree.

Perry's three ducklings are getting big.  I am afraid they may all be drakes. 
 Our Silver Appleyard ducklings are well grown now and good foragers. Their coloring is such a pleasure to look at after four years of plain brown khakis.
 This is the other muscovy sitting on eggs. Her name is Sadie.  Mostly she is on her nest in the dog crate. But when she ventures out for evening bath, drink, and snack she always has an eye out for the barn entrance.  I keep trying to sneak in and look at the eggs.  When I start walking towards the barn so does she -- here she is running to get back to her nest before I could get in the door.
 Lovely feverfew.
 The hollyhocks are starting to bloom.
 I dusted the tomatoes with diatomaceous earth this week. Aphids were starting to attack en masse and I have not seen as many lady beetles as usual.
 The sage is blooming.
 The peas are fattening.
  The little June/ Saskatoon berry bush that I planted last summer is already fruiting. I love the bright pink color. There was just one dark blue ripe berry. I ate it. Yum.
 The photo below is to show Grandpa J how happy the hydrangeas are here now that he pulled out those laurel type bushes that were crowding them in front.
 Hubby put together this new deck box and sign at the end of the driveway.  Hopefully it will reduce the risk of our dog attacking any marauding delivery trucks in the future.
 Another successful year of mulching the fig tree. Looking forward to lots of figs this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment