Sunday, October 21, 2018

Field Trip: Amish Produce Auction

My friend managed to get a picture at the Amish produce auction that we went to last week. You can see that side of the building was almost all pumpkins and gourds.
I mentioned last week that we bought 6 bushels or about 240 lbs of apple seconds at a nearby discount store instead.  It was 62$. 
 Those apples made 92 quarts of applesauce and about 15 gallons of what I hope will be apple cider vinegar. It is my first time making vinegar with the peels and cores, but so far it is pretty easy.
My shelves are overflowing...  I have met my 500 jar canning goal.  I have plans to can a lot of the  80 lbs of sweet potatoes that we just harvested and am about half done canning the rabbits that I harvested this week.  I am trying the "bone in" raw pack canning on those.  It will be interesting to see how that effects the taste and moisture of the meat.

My friend also had these great pics of the kids being silly with their buddies at the Amish Smorgasbord.

No comments:

Post a Comment