Monday, July 30, 2018

Farm and Garden Update: Harvesting and Canning

The zinnias are looking lovely everywhere -- outside and inside.
 I have not posted an update on the kittens lately.  They are all spayed now and getting friendlier by the day.  My two friends who each wanted one have not followed through as yet. So we still have 3 little kittens with no mittens. They like to come up on the deck for the morning's cereal leftovers.
 Fresh veggies are feeding us daily from the garden.  It rained most of last week and this week is supposed to continue to be rainy.  My tomato plants seemed to need more air flow with all the wet weather so I pulled out about 10 plants.  Now the remaining plants should be healthier and I get to  make things with the fruits from the plants I "thinned" (green tomatoes).  The cousins' crab apple tree fell over and we have been using the windfall from that too. Onions and squash are coming in well.  The beets and kale are finishing up. Oh and green beans! I am finally having a good bean year.  I planted the Cherokee bush beans this year and they are thriving despite some bugs eating their leaves.
 Lots of tomatoes are splitting from all the rain. Luckily I am not trying to sell them or anything.  They still taste heavenly and will be great for salsa and sauce.
 I made spicy pickled beets and picalili relish this week. The relish uses green tomatoes.  My jar total so far is 105.
 Hubby made some ladder roosts for the turkey and chicken hoop houses. They all want a place to roost off the ground at night anyway and it was messy trying to make-do with branches.
 Our little guinea keets are getting so big. 


No comments:

Post a Comment