Monday, June 25, 2018

Berrying and Kicking off Canning Season

 This week we started picking our own blueberries. Not too many yet as our bushes are still babies.
We went to our local orchard to pick tart cherries.  I told the kiddos that we needed to pick 20 lbs.  Their is a price discount, under 20lbs is 3.99 a pound and over 20 lbs is 2.99 a pound. 



The trees were FULL of cherries and we picked about 30 lbs without any trouble. 
We also went to Amish country to see what kinds of produce they already have available. The prices are so much better than anywhere around here and we always have so much fun with our friends. 
  Amish buggy going through the drive through at the ice cream store.



 
The Amish produce market had beautiful cauliflower, zucchini, rhubarb, and new potatoes.  We came home loaded with produce and plants... and with bellies full of homemade ice cream.
Over the next couple nights I got the cherries and rhubarb all jammed and canned. I made cherry chutney, rhubarb jam, cherry pie filling, and cherry jam -- 36 jars.
I have been reading/using recipes from this great Amish canning book.  She says that most Amish families can 1,000 or more jars for their pantries.  I have a goal to do at least 500 jars this year.  I am especially excited to use my new pressure canner so that I can have soups, beans, and meat stored as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment