Sunday, December 18, 2016

Hunting and Butchering: Venison

This was my view last Sunday night. (For some reason people keep bringing me them on Sunday! I would rather not spend my sabbath day butchering, but the hunter is not a member and it's free, so I can't complain.) I am getting quicker now. My first time doing the butchering solo took about 6 hours (8pm-2am).  This time it only took about 4 hours (8pm-12am). 
 I have a gambrel for hanging it by the back hamstrings and a folding table with cutting board and a bunch of bowls for putting meat and scraps in. I know that some people use saran wrap and butcher paper, but I find that freezer ziplock bags work well enough for me. I do the shoulders first and then work my way up through tenderloins, backstraps, and finally hind legs (roasts). By the end there is nothing left hanging up and it is all either in a freezer bag or in my big trash can.
Here is the great book that I have been using to keep me organized and help me make my cuts so that I get the stew meat, roasts, and steaks all in good pieces:

No comments:

Post a Comment