Sunday, August 21, 2016

Farm Fresh: Garden Work and Canning

Keeping cool as the summer heats up around here. 


My kitchen counters have been covered with various fruits and vegetables lately.  I wish I could say that my garden is already this hugely productive, but we have been getting a lot of seconds from local farms. 

 
Tomato in the front row and the second row and probably others too, were all attacked by the tomato monger (Baby L).

The garden has been producing an abundance of squash for the first time in years!  I used row covers to guard them from the squash bugs in June/July.
 
Also melons love the soil here. So glad. Now we just need to get better at telling when they are really ripe.

Pepper are doing better than they ever did in our old garden. Maybe they like the natural soil here too. 
 The dappled shade under the dogwoods has been a good spot for the herbs. The cilantro lasted much longer than usual before going to seed.
I think the yarrow and lemongrass will need to be planted in a sunnier spot next year. 
Lots of canning nights and I am starting to replenish my supply. Pickles, jams, tomato sauce and many jars of salsa. Still a long way from a year's supply.


No comments:

Post a Comment