Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Sew Special: Casual Seating aka Bean Bag Chairs

  The kids like the den much better than the toy room/sewing room.  Why? This is the very thing that I have been asking them.  The first answer - no place to sit.  Fine. How about some bean bag chairs? I used this great pattern from the Made Everyday blog.


 I like the pattern because it has an interior lining (full of foam beans, stuffing, and packing peanuts) sewn up tight. And and outer cover that can be removed and washed. It was a great stash buster. In keeping with my first-use what-I-have plan, I didn't buy any new fabric for this project. I just took out all the pieces that I had that were big enough and heavy weight enough and let the kiddos choose whatever caught their eye.  I made 3. One for each of the three older kiddos. Also, I did buy some zipper by the yard, a  new thing for me, but good for all kinds of upholstery projects.

 
 I tried several different fillers.  I had 3 big boxes of stuffing that someone gave me when they moved away.  I used one box for each.  Then filled in the majority of the space with bean bag filler, like this.  That was getting pricey, so I did one with packing peanuts.  I am waiting to see how they hold up and then decide on future fillers.  They each have handles for dragging them around.

  Of course sitting is not the only thing the kiddos have been using them for... I may need to refill them sooner rather than later.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment