Sunday, April 8, 2018

Travels in Lancaster

We went up to Lancaster this week to visit the Amish farms, shops, and restaurants. 
We met our friends at a tiny local diner called The White Horse Luncheonette for a delicious breakfast of plate size pancakes and a veggie omelette for me. It seemed to be a local hang out as several Amish families were eating there too. 
Then we went down the road a little way to the White Horse Dry Goods store. It was lit with propane lights and had a little of everything.  We purchased a fun board game that I had read about in some Amish books - Life on the Farm. It is a little like monopoly for farmers - the winner is the first one to buy 60 cows. 
We went to a couple of local grocery stores (Esh's discount grocery and Miller's Organic) and Esh's Hardware and Farm supplies. Esh's Hardware was selling some of the cool Amish scooters that we saw lots of people riding. 
Like this: 
(Note the source. I did not take out my camera much while I was there so as not to offend anyone).  We went to a little petting zoo next to an ice cream shop at Lapp Valley Farms.
 We visited Misty Creek Goat Dairy and I bought several lovely cheeses and homemade goat soap to try.  The counter there was unmanned! all done on an honor system with an open till so that you could make change and everything. 
 All the kids loved the goats, especially Miss L. She wants to get one asap... when our fence is ready.
 
 We finished off the day with an all you can eat buffet of delicious local fare like beets, sweet potatoes, scrapple, pies of all varieties, and plenty of soft serve ice cream.  I was worried about being able to drive home with such a full tummy without drowsing off.  We will definitely be heading back there many more times. We have a lot more places in the area that we wanted to visit.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds fun!! I wish I was close, I would tag along too ;)

    ReplyDelete