Sunday, April 2, 2017

Farm Fresh: Garden Update -- Onions, Carrots, Rhubarb, Asparagus, Peas, and Radishes

The weather this week was alternately rainy and cloudy. Perfect for planting early spring veggie starts and seeds.  I put down bone meal through out my beds.  Then I planted these rows with mixed onions and carrots.
 The cabbage and cauliflower plants are progressing nicely.  I planted some African Marigolds around between them, but they seem sensitive to the cold (40s). A couple plants died.
 In one corner I planted Argenteuil Asparagus and the Rhubarb.
 Growing rhubarb from seed has been easier than from roots (so far).
 This is my amazing spinach patch that overwintered.
 The land in the front yard is much rockier than the back for some reason. Maybe it was all rocky fill dirt when the house was built. I am going to try to build up the soil with straw bale gardens and hope that in a couple years it will be built up enough  to plant in directly.   The best sun is in the front and we will try to extend out from the existing landscaping over time.
 My original strawberry plants have multiplied and are doing great in the front landscaping.
 I finally figured out what these beautiful flowers are - Hellebores. Some varieties are poisonous, but they are great because they grow fast early in the Spring.
 The ground cover of Periwinkle is growing like crazy and looking beautiful.
 I am still not sure what these ornamental bushes are, but they are starting to get their spring blossoms too.


No comments:

Post a Comment