Sunday, April 5, 2015

Sew special: A new couch cover for 5 dollars

At least a year ago, I snagged a very nice white ikea loveseat cover from the "As-Is" bin.  It was 1 dollar! I grabbed some cushion covers and other denim bits from the bin as well that were of the same color.  Each one was a dollar!
Here is the couch that that cover set was supposed to be for:

My old cover was made from a double layer of white sheets. Brother M is in a cutting phase and recently made a small hole, which quickly became gigantic as they played with it.  The day before the Easter Egg hunt party I decided that completing this project was a priority and stayed up very late almost finishing it. (The back/side hem is still not done).
In some ways starting with a cover that did not fit was harder than starting from scratch. The rounded back of this couch is always challenging to slip cover. This is my 3rd time making a cover for it. I think it is the best yet in terms of the pleats.

I made these little tucks around the arm curves both because their was excess fabric and because that was what I was hoping to test out on this third iteration. The piecing in the center of the couch, I would rather not have done, but it was the only way to fill in gaps in the other model to make it work for this couch. and my fill ins were seat covers... so I made do as best I could.

I also finished off another doll project for my neighbor's doll business this week.  She had an antique dress that was falling apart. My neighbor brought me this nice quality satin and tulle to work with and I replicated her wardrobe, including the parasol! That was the most fun part of the whole thing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment