Sunday, June 18, 2017

My Dash: Healthy Living

Thinking of my dad for Father's Day... I was thinking today of how when we were barely waist high to him my brother P and I would chase him around the kitchen saying "cheap cheap" and opening our mouths like birds. He would be taking a few spoonfuls of frozen yogurt directly from the carton as a treat and dole some out to us. It was always frozen yogurt. My dad has eaten healthy food as long as I can remember. The definition of "health foods" has changed some over the years, but whatever it is he tries to incorporate it: quinoa, brown rice, lots of veggies, whole grain bread and snacks.  We often had homemade bread and always whole wheat. We never had chips or soda. No fried foods and very few junk foods. He would always treat himself to one cookie when mom made the homemade toll house recipe. I remember that we kids made fun of him for being soooo healthy until in fourth grade I read an article in my "Weekly Reader" about the dangers of cholesterol. I came home that day and announced that I was going to eat like dad. No more cookies or treats at church activities, no more little bag of potato chips at school.  I kept on that regimen until I went to France my junior year of high school.  Then I learned about good fats and another kind of moderation in eating.

My dad also has always had a weight room in the basement of our/his house. I remember waking up on Saturday morning to go down and watch cartoons.  He would be there lifting weights or riding his exercise bike. He showed us how to lift weights too and encouraged us to exercise. He challenged me to do 10 pull-ups and see how many sit-ups I could do. I remember us racing laps around the outside of the house. My brother P did Little League and while we were playing outside one evening dad accidentally hit the ball right into my cheek. When I started swimming on the team in middle school and high school he came to many of my meets to cheer for me. I felt like he was proud of me for my efforts, but no pressure or stress like some other kids had from their parents.  I realize now how lucky we are to have always had such a health conscious example all our lives.  I think we (siblings/kids) still all work-out regularly and like to exercise. We also generally try to eat as healthy as we can given varying life circumstances (like our spouses' preferences :). Thanks Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment