Sunday, March 5, 2017

Farm Fresh: Garden in Progress

 Here are some shots Hubby took of his experience removing a stump with the backhoe:



Normally we take a break from yard work and gardening in the winter. This year we have been working on it steadily.  I cleared enough ground along side last years beds to double the backyard garden from 10' by 60' to 20' by 60'.   I used cardboard shipping boxes as a compostable weed blocker (for the weeds I inevitably missed).  On top of that I layered rabbit and or chicken/duck manure and hubby brought a load of compost per bed.  
 Both chickens and children helped spread the compost.
 The garlic has been working its way up for about 2 months now.
I started planting my cold weather starts in January.  I am always annoyed that the starts at the feed store are so far ahead of my plants.  I decided to ignore the directions on the seed packet and get a month ahead. 
 The biggies on the left are Snowball Cauliflower and Brunswick cabbage. There are also some leeks and cilantro.  Tomatoes and marigolds were just taking off a couple weeks ago when I took this picture.  They are in red cups too now.
 The next rounds of trays are on my freezer in the laundry room.  I tried starting them on the counter, but apparently granite is way too cold. This spot is working so much better. I am most excited about my little rhubarb seedings.  I really hope they make it.   I also decided to plant a lot more flowers in with the veggies this year. I have 2 types of marigolds started - French Harlequin and cream colored African Marigolds, and 2 types of zinnias - Giant Dahlia and Oklahoma Zinnia mix . I bought a couple ounces of "grandmother's old fashioned flower garden" seeds from RH Shumway. Someday I would love to have a cutting garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment